TREK OF A LIFETIME: A THRILLING JOURNEY TO EVEREST BASE CAMP
So you are a trekker, or a outdoorsy type of person who likes walking amongst mountains, forests, rivers lakes and other wonders of the nature, or else you wouldn’t be reading this! Well, what I have done below is that I have given an overview of the world-famous Everest Base Camp trek. I’ve even provided a short trip itinerary at the end. Have a look if this bores you or have a look if this interests you, both will be to your benefit. If you embark on a journey to Everest Base Camp, remember that you will be following the widely acknowledged footsteps of Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay Sherpa, the first people to set foot on the highest point in the world. Reaching the highest point on earth is a feat to marvel at, but reaching the base camp of this snowy giant is the lesser deed only by a small fraction.
Journeying to high places like Everest Base Camp and above is not a walk in the park. Imagine it as a walk amongst boulders topped by steaming lava. Meaning to say that, one false or hasty decision on your part might lead to your doom, though it rarely happens because trekkers at such higher altitudes are not cravens and have a formiddable peace of mind, and a astute sense of obidience towards their trekking guides; the altitude emboldened Sherpas. Everest Base Camp trekking is perhaps the most challenging and intriguing trekking in the world where you can embark halfway on the fascinating journey taken by Hillary and Tenzing. If you are a walker, where can you find a more fascinating place for your walking endeavors other than at the foothills of Everest? Everest Base Camp trek is an intriguing lodge/teahouse trek that offers ecstatic mountain views and an insight into the culturally rich lives of the Sherpa people. After exploring the temples, shrines, bazaars and restaurants of Kathmandu, you will take an exciting mountain flight to Lukla and will trek up the Dudh Koshi Valley, surrounded by the majestic peaks of Thamserkhu and Kusum Kanguru.
You will then embark on a steep ascent to Namche Bazaar, capital of the Kumbu Sherpas, where you will again be greeted by spectacular mountain vistas. You will rest for a day there to acclimatize yourselves to the thin atmospheric layer of breathable air. You will find Namche Bazaar (3441 meters) highly interesting as it is the highest fully facilitated village/town in the world. You will then follow the trail to the famous Tengboche Monastery, a reservoir of culture of various mountainous tribes, located on a high ridge where a magnificent 360-degree panorama awaits your presence. The views of Everest, the Lhotse-Nuptse Wall, Mt. Ama Dablam and Kantega dominate your line of sight. It is surely one of the most tranquil places in the world. While passing along numerous Buddhist monasteries, you will find that the views of Everest are getting closer every day. This trek takes you to both, Everest base camp and KalaPatthar (5555m), a viewpoint popularly considered as the best vantage point to view the serene beauty of Everest, which is a prime goal for many adventure walkers and trekkers in the Himalayan region. After trekking to base camp and then to Kalapatthar, you will return at a leisurely pace back to Namche and Lukla for your return flight to Kathmandu. For more adventure-loving trekkers, there is the option of returning over the Cho La pass to the Gokyo valley, and then ascending Gokyo Ri. Also, if you are really fit, you can attempt the summit of Island peak. Everest Base camp trek can be arranged at any point of time during trekking season(February-June & September-December). I remember promising you the trip itinerary. So here it is. If you have read till here, take a minute or two and have a look at the itinerary too. P.S. Don’t let the numerics in the bracket frighten you. Good day to you!
- Day 01: Arrive at Tribhuvan International airport (1345meters). Overnight at Hotel.
- Day 02: Pre-trip Meeting and Sightseeing around Kathmandu valley. Overnight at Hotel.
- Day 03: Fly to Tenzing and Hillary Airport in Lukla (2804 meters) from Kathmandu, trek to Phakding (2610 meters) 3 hours. Overnight at Guesthouse.
- Day 04: Trek to Namche Bazaar (3441 meters) 5 hours. Overnight at Guesthouse.
- Day 05: Namche Bazaar Acclimatization day. Overnight at Guesthouse.
- Day 06: Trek to Tengboche Monastery (3860 meters) 5 hours. Overnight at Guesthouse.
- Day 07: Trek to Dingboche (4350 meters) 6 hours. Overnight at Guesthouse.
- Day 08: Day trip to Chhukung valley (4710 meters) and trek back to Dingboche. 4 hours. Overnight at Guesthouse.
- Day 09: Trek to Lobuche (4910 meters) 5 hours. Overnight at Guesthouse
- Day 10: Trek to Everest Base Camp (5365 meters) then back to Gorak Shep. 8 hours. Overnight at Guesthouse.
- Day 11: Hike up to Kalapatthar (5555 meters) early in the morning then trek down to Periche (4200 meters). 7 hours. Overnight at Guesthouse.
- Day 12: Trek to Namche Bazaar (3441 meters) 6 hours. Overnight at Guesthouse.
- Day 13: Trek to Lukla (2804 meters) 6 hours. Overnight at Guesthouse.
- Day 14: Flight from Lukla to Kathmandu in the morning. Overnight at hotel.
- Day 15: Leisure day and farewell dinner in Kathmandu Overnight at hotel.
- Day 16: Transfer to the international airport for your final flight departure.